Benefits of PLCopen
Why support PLCopen?
PLCopen creates efficiency in industrial automation by harmonizing
logic, motion, safety, communication and data exchange.
Via these PLCopen specifications you can reduce costs through:
integration = one configuration tool
- Most PLCs and Programmable Automation Controllers (PACs)
are managing all domains of industrial automation today:
- Logic – Robust standardization implementing IEC
- Motion – Normalized motion programming using PLCopen
motion function blocks
- Safety – Integrated safety functionality during
- Communication – OPC Unified Architecture provides
platform and manufacturer-independent information and
- PLCopen architecture allows the integration of all
domains into one unified development environment
- PLCopen’s hardware independent approach encourages
cost-reducing “best of breed” hardware integration.
||Data transparency = faster configuration and
integration with existing equipment
- Strong data typing reduces “type-mismatch” induced
- PLCopen identifiers allow for industry specific naming
- Globally recognized namespace conventions enhance
troubleshooting by simplifying data tracing
- OPC UA simplifies integration of field data from diverse
||Fewer code errors = less troubleshooting
||Hardware independent software = integration
of “best of breed” hardware
- Compliance certification insures predictable behavior
across a broad spectrum of automation hardware.
- Selection of the best available hardware and integration
through standardizes communication strategies greatly
reduces system design costs.
||PLCopen = Data transparency = Basis for OEE
(Overall Equipment Effectiveness)
- Data transparency and consistency guarantees rapid
concise equipment monitoring
- Powerful modular libraries provide standardized and
customize data interpretation for root-cause analysis
- Modular software design encourages modular system
- OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) is a number
described in terms of a percentage and is the product of
three terms expressed as percentages:
- Availability - percentage of time the machine is
available for work vs. the time scheduled for work.
- Performance - speed at which work is performed as a
percentage of designed speed
- Quality - represents good units produced as a
percentage of total units
- The formula is: OEE = Availability x Performance x
||Faster training = cross-disciplinary
- Technicians trained in PLCopen strategies have
“cross-platform” migration opportunities
- Modular code design allows for modular training design
- Certified PLCopen training centers assure consistency of
- Object Oriented Program design leverages skills of
“non-industrial” programming professionals
||Modular code = concise troubleshooting
||PLCopen helps manufacturers:
- to identify operational inefficiencies
- to perform root cause analysis
- to manage and improve production operations in their
machines and production lines.
||This allows manufacturers to make informed
decisions about manufacturing processes and identify ways to
drive operational improvement.
||PLCopen provides the basis to show factors
- equipment downtime
- changeover effectiveness
- waste and line efficiency
- link downtime events to the specific cause.